About This Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give an accurate account of what is said during Public Comment at Mantua Township Trustees meetings.



Trustees' decisions are in the official minutes, available on request from the Mantua Township Fiscal Officer, Jodi Thompson, at 330-274-8443. The Township charges 10 cents per page. FAX, 330-274-8447. E-mail, fiscalofficer@mantuatownshipohio.gov. The minutes are also posted on the website after they have been approved. That means that there is usually a two-week lag between a given meeting and the minutes being available to read on the website.

Since meetings are the first and third Thursdays of the month, there is a three-week wait during months with five Thursdays.



Other items of interest or the writer's opinions will be included from time to time, clearly identified.



This is not a forum or chat room, but a source of information, so it is closed to outside input.



During the time I have been doing the blog, the posts have expanded to become very detailed accounts of the meetings. Doing that is time consuming, to say the least, and I am going to try to return to the public comment focus, with background and perspective (and the occasional pointed editorial comment). Such additions are usually enclosed in brackets. However, since some extended accounts of the meetings reveal significant things--and character--better than I could by commenting, there will probably still be a fair amount of semi-transcript. (Sigh.)

My thanks to the readers who have found the blog, and to the ones who from time to time tell me that they value it. You have encouraged me when the tedious work of keyboarding has made me wonder why I am doing this. Then you have reminded me, and I am grateful.

Principles

Two ideas guide and support me:

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
______Attributed to Edmund Burke

GOOD PREVAILS.

Those ideas are also the reason I have been doing the blog since late February 2011.

I have discovered that a transcript is almost impossible to do and that verbatim accounts are usually not absolutely necessary. When in doubt, I check against a recording.

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Painting Twp. Hall--9-5-12 Trustees Mtg.

Blogger Foreword:  It has been a really busy, packed time for this whole couple of weeks.  Yesterday, September 19, I went to a Heritage Ohio workshop in Port Clinton on community branding and identity.  Very interesting.  For one thing, a community's brand is not a slogan, logo,  main attraction, architecture, or school district.  Many of those things help personify the brand, but they are not the brand and do not necessarily create it.

This is the definition that was given:  The brand is the cumulative results of all interactions (tangible and intangible) that the target audience members have with or about any aspect of your organization.


These days, the first contact that people probably have with a community or organization is a website.  Those sites are the first impression a virtual visitor gets, and you only get one chance to make a first impression.  That impression may encourage viewers or leave a bad taste in their mouths.

During discussion, one of the workshop attendees commented on the tone of Port Clinton's website--that it seemed a little apologetic. Fixing that seems relatively easy.

If sites are similarly titled, the one that gets the most hits is the one that comes up first.  What if the first thing you saw on the front page of the Record Courier was "Sound Off!"?  One of the nastier examples of "Sound Off!", that is.

The workshop was interesting but struck me as more relevant to urban areas.  However, the concepts gave lots of food for thought.   One more thing:  The brand identity is defined by the audience, not by the entity that is trying to create the identity, because so much of brand identity comes from the experience of the audience.

OK for that.  Now, to the topic at hand, stated above.

Painting the Town Hall
After a quick summary of what had been done on Remington Point, Linda Ehlert had the floor to report on issues having to do with painting the Town Hall.

Linda:   After our last meeting I e-mailed the Ohio Historic Preservation Office and have given [that information] to you.  [Blogger:  Printed out, it is about 16 pages worth in one item and several more in the less detailed, less technical one.]

The problem we have with the building is common to old buildings.  The thing  that was very interesting and that I wanted to talk about is because some of this information is so important.
If latex paint is applied over chalking or peeling, the latex will not adhere. 
The information tells not to power wash or blast the wood with anything when cleaning.  The washing forces water into the wood and blasting damages the wood.

It takes a whole year after one of these procedures for a building to dry.  This absolutely causes water problems and bad adhesion for the paint. 

Also, you have to use oil paint, alkyd primer and paint after sanding because latex will not adhere without a primer. 

Linda pointed out a picture in the information packet illustrating why paint must be feathered by sanding, rather than just being scraped, with a sharp edge left between paint and wood.  Sanding must be by hand and not by machine.

There was also some good information on reparing rotted wood and wet basements.  They asked us if we wanted to take pictures--they could tell us what is wrong. 

They asked if we had a plan and indicated that ventilation was probably a problem. [Blogger:  It seems to me that "ventilation" sounds a teensy bit familiar--as in having been mentioned by almost everyone but John Festa--since the topic of painting the hall was introduced months ago. He may finally have mentioned ventilation at the last meeting or so.]

Linda:  We were upstairs getting ready for the potato festival and talked about cellulose and they said there was no cellulose and no insulation up there.  [Blogger:  I don't know who "they" may be, here.  Someone who has been around for a long time and is familiar with the building, I assume.]
Linda:  The person in Columbus said that if we sent photos and a plan of what we wanted to do, they would send us suggestions. 
They suggested that if we are not sure, to get an engineer rather than contractors, because opinions will differ and the engineer will know what to do.  [Cal Brant said this almost two months ago and was not merely ignored, but cut off, if I remember correctly.]

Linda:  If you put vinyl siding on, that is  the last thing they want anyone to do and it would result in the building being removed from the National Register of Historic Places.
Old buildings take special care to get to last, but the preparation is crucial.  [Blogger:  Again, Cal said this early on--and was ignored.]

[Blogger:  I believe that Linda also mentioned that masonry should not be power washed, either.  That advice is in the same packet of information, which I had read before the meeting and may therefore not have taken down in my notes from Linda's remarks.]

Linda, continuing:  I also checked a little about grants, but the funding is not available until next April.  There is now a tax check-off for historic preservation.  I can look next week when this grant possibility goes on line.  Buildings on the National Register of Historic Places get preference.  Up to $20,000 is available.  We may not want or be able to wait that long.  This concluded Linda's presentation.

John Festa reported on meeting with Jim Kotkowski about the drainage around the building.  [Blogger:  Since I was not at that meeting, this post will contain only what John Festa said on his own behalf about the situation.]  He said that upon looking at the building, "we seen " that there were all kinds of things very close to the foundations like gas lines and plantings that would have to be removed to do any digging.  He commented that it got bigger every time he looked at it.  He said that he had called John Frost [mentioned in an earlier post], but he is tied up and will call back as soon as possible

John Festa, continuing:  I looked at the foundation in the basement and it looks as if the foundation is set about three feet deep.  The sandstone needs to be power washed [Blogger: see the remarks above about power washing brick; sandstone is similarly porous] and pointed and other work done.

Vic:  I think the first thing is to clean the gutters.  The only time I have seen water in the basement is after a really heavy rain.  We need to maike sure that the downspout is open because if that is plugged, then there is a water problem. 

Then, commenting on the digging idea:  This is definitely a major works project.  Vic also said something about getting a true professional in to look at it and make a recommendation, but he trailed off on that.

 Then:
Vic:  We don't know how much weight of the building is sitting on the stone and we do not want to move the dirt away because the wall might fall down.  The only time there is obvious water is when the downspout overflows.  I would be skeptical of digging beside the stone.  A curtain drain would eliminate some worry. 

John Festa:  I don't think that will solve the problem but I am not an expert. 

Jason asked how to seal the stone.

Vic:  You can point it and put insulating rope into it, but I do not know what will stick to sandstone.  The only thing that will grow and stick to sandstone is mold.  I don't know whether pointing would stay or whether it would crack again.
I think the first thing is to clean the downspouts. 

John Festa:  Do we know anyone who can do that?  [!!!! This, from the person who wants "our guys" to do everything.]

Cal Brant:  If you get a good person to clean them out, there is something called Leaf Guard that will help.  There is a way to deal with the sandstone.  Cal described that, a detailed process that involves a gravel layer, a coating, and a membrane in conjunction with 2" thick rigid insulation, plus a procedure called "pargeing."  The dirt is then replaced and compacted to protect against frost against the wall. 
Cal:  It is very doable and there are volunteers in the township, and we could do a wall at a time.

Jason:  We need to get some experts.  [Blogger:  I have heard the phrase "Ready, fire, aim," and have even considered how it applies to myself.  In small ways, it is almost comical.  In this situation, it seems to me that after having been raised in April or May, finally the problem is being addressed thoughtfully--and the idea of experts is being mentioned as if it just occurred to two of the trustees at this meeting, when it was in fact one of Cal's first recommendations:  get an engineer, someone whose job is to study situations and recommend solutions.]

John Vechery:  In the late '70's these basements (Township Hall and Civic Center) were dug out.  We had 12 CETA  workers.  As you go down the stairs, the first window on the left, that basement was already there.  As they dug down, the sandstone fell in, so the sandstone does not go down very deep.  I don't know if they corrected that.

John Festa:  To Marie--You gave me the hall rental fees and I have all the return receipts.  I noticed that in addition to the rentals there was a security deposit which would be returned.  I do not see any receipts for security deposits.

Sue Skrovan:  (Sue handles the rental fees for the Civic Center and also cleans that building after it has been used.)  The custodian receives it two weeks before.  I keep every receipt for every deposit. 
John Festa seemed to have trouble understanding Sue's explanation, because there was a lot of back and forth about this.  He finally asked for them--the records or receipts.

Jason:  I understand that you hold these and then give them back.  (The security deposits.)

Sue:  The check is voided and returned unless there is an issue and if money has to be held.  If it is a cleaning issue, I hold the money.  If it is damage, Marie holds it.  Rarely is the whole amount of money held.

John Festa  asked how this is done and Sue explained it.   He also said that he wanted to move to have an executive session after public comment to discuss promotion and also discipline.
[Blogger:  These matters are discussed in executive session; those details are supposed to stay strictly confidential.  The decisions must be made a matter of public record, however.  Those can be found in the minutes.]

[Blogger:  What remains of this meeting is public comment, which was lengthy.  It will have to wait for the next post, which I intend to do as soon as possible, but not any more today.]