After introducing the above topic--
Jason: I put together a list of the committees. [He read his list, which is pretty much what I remember Todd Peetz saying when he came to a previous trustees meeting.]
Here is what Jason presented:
1. Needs Assessment committee
a. Staffed with professions and contractors
b. List needs, determine cost
c. Likely staffed by trustee recommendation
2. Grant and foundations Committee
a. Research grants and monies available
b. Research foundations, are there any out there willing to contribute to our cause
c. Research what other communities have done, how where their projects funded
3. Volunteers and Sponsors committee
a. Sourcing volunteers
b. Sourcing materials
c. Finding donations, materials, expertise
d. Work with the other committees to determine requirements for volunteers/materials/exertise
4. Building Utilization Committee
a. Sourcing renters
b. Who is interested in space and what are their requirements
c. What uses are most feasible and realistic
i. Select and propose only the best and most reasonable
d. How have other communities reutilized their facilities and rejuvenated their buildings
[Note: This is an exact transcript of what Jason read at the meeting.]
Jason, continuing: That is what I came up with. I think for committees 2, 3, 4, I think we ought to have some advertisement for staffing them. Regional Planning would be the best to interview them. Maybe people want to be on a certain committee but have skills better suited to another.
To the other trustees: Your thoughts?
Vic: As far as advertising--right now Portage County is trying to have a Volunteer Day. They have it on their website. You can go on there to sign up. Maybe we can use our website to advertise this. This would be Mantua Township's website. I was at Regional Planning last night and Todd Peetz recommended that maybe we can use Volunteer Day for some of the outside work on the school.
Jason: We should move on this rather quickly.
Then: Figure out the wording for an advertisement. [After a pause, Vic volunteered to write the ad.]
Jason: I don't want to analyze this too much becazuse I think it will happen organically. I want the committees to spin off it on their own.
John Festa complimented Jason.
Jason said he was going to skip the rental agreements.
Vic: I have talked with the people about the bike race. They have sent us some checks. They are going to use the school building on Saturday and the Civic Center on Sunday. They still want to have vendors. We need to have stuff finalized. They asked about alcohol and were told there had to be some kind of coverage.
They want to use the Civic Center mostly for bathrooms. They want to set up their starting gate in front of the Township garage.
John Festa: Did you ask them if/where they would like the Fire Department to set up the squad?
Vic: They have talked with the sheriff. We have time yet.
Next was about the newsletter for the township and recording trustees' meetings. These are both John Festa's concerns.
John Festa: Frank Horack has been kind of busy but I have called him about a price for an outlet. We can not use what Brent Simon is doing. I am not sure what it would cost. We can use an extension cord. It [the whole arrangement] will cost about $400.
To Brent: Did the road department get you any updates? Answer [I believe]: Only Marie Stehli.
John Festa: The most important thing is whether other departments want to change or add things.
Vic: You wanted pictures of the road crew. I said I was going to take a picture. We want to get new pictures of the raod crew. We will get some.
Jason: We need to make a decision on the risk insurance. Why don't we also discuss the insurance on that day as well. That will give us some time to compare policies. ["That day" had been set for May 29 at 6:45 p.m. at the Township Hall to discuss Round 29 (road projects/competitive grant proposals). This statement of Jason's added the insurance to the meeting.]
Vic to Marie Stehli: Make sure both of those are in there.
Jason: Made a motion to select Care Works for our NCO [insurance] for this enrollment. Vic seconded. Unanimous.
Jason, about the website: Vic, you are going to get pictures and I will see if I can find a better location [on the website] for our rentals.
John Festa: Anything about Skinner Road? Answer: No. Concerning the speed study? JF: Yes.
Jason: That takes some time. I think I will have to work with Portage County because ODOT thinks it is under 400 cars/day.
Public Comment was next and will be a separate post.
About This Blog
The purpose of this blog is to give an accurate account of what is said during Public Comment at Mantua Township Trustees meetings.
Trustees' decisions are in the official minutes, available on request from the Mantua Township Fiscal Officer, Jodi Thompson, at 330-274-8443. The Township charges 10 cents per page. FAX, 330-274-8447. E-mail, fiscalofficer@mantuatownshipohio.gov. The minutes are also posted on the website after they have been approved. That means that there is usually a two-week lag between a given meeting and the minutes being available to read on the website.
Since meetings are the first and third Thursdays of the month, there is a three-week wait during months with five Thursdays.
Other items of interest or the writer's opinions will be included from time to time, clearly identified.
This is not a forum or chat room, but a source of information, so it is closed to outside input.
During the time I have been doing the blog, the posts have expanded to become very detailed accounts of the meetings. Doing that is time consuming, to say the least, and I am going to try to return to the public comment focus, with background and perspective (and the occasional pointed editorial comment). Such additions are usually enclosed in brackets. However, since some extended accounts of the meetings reveal significant things--and character--better than I could by commenting, there will probably still be a fair amount of semi-transcript. (Sigh.)
My thanks to the readers who have found the blog, and to the ones who from time to time tell me that they value it. You have encouraged me when the tedious work of keyboarding has made me wonder why I am doing this. Then you have reminded me, and I am grateful.
Trustees' decisions are in the official minutes, available on request from the Mantua Township Fiscal Officer, Jodi Thompson, at 330-274-8443. The Township charges 10 cents per page. FAX, 330-274-8447. E-mail, fiscalofficer@mantuatownshipohio.gov. The minutes are also posted on the website after they have been approved. That means that there is usually a two-week lag between a given meeting and the minutes being available to read on the website.
Since meetings are the first and third Thursdays of the month, there is a three-week wait during months with five Thursdays.
Other items of interest or the writer's opinions will be included from time to time, clearly identified.
This is not a forum or chat room, but a source of information, so it is closed to outside input.
During the time I have been doing the blog, the posts have expanded to become very detailed accounts of the meetings. Doing that is time consuming, to say the least, and I am going to try to return to the public comment focus, with background and perspective (and the occasional pointed editorial comment). Such additions are usually enclosed in brackets. However, since some extended accounts of the meetings reveal significant things--and character--better than I could by commenting, there will probably still be a fair amount of semi-transcript. (Sigh.)
My thanks to the readers who have found the blog, and to the ones who from time to time tell me that they value it. You have encouraged me when the tedious work of keyboarding has made me wonder why I am doing this. Then you have reminded me, and I am grateful.
Principles
Two ideas guide and support me:
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
______Attributed to Edmund Burke
GOOD PREVAILS.
Those ideas are also the reason I have been doing the blog since late February 2011.
I have discovered that a transcript is almost impossible to do and that verbatim accounts are usually not absolutely necessary. When in doubt, I check against a recording.
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
______Attributed to Edmund Burke
GOOD PREVAILS.
Those ideas are also the reason I have been doing the blog since late February 2011.
I have discovered that a transcript is almost impossible to do and that verbatim accounts are usually not absolutely necessary. When in doubt, I check against a recording.