Cal Brant: What about the inside color of the door?
John Festa: The same thing as the wall color?
Cal: All the time I have spent here, about 8 weeks: the accidents that have occurred here--it is the stupidity of the people who won't wait. There is a guy in a pickup truck that I swear waits for someone to come and then he guns it. People pull out in front of traffic because they are too impatient. The other day I almost set the lift down on someone who was cutting through this area.
[Blogger: There was a question about the door handle on the new door, but I did not hear the answer.]
Dave Pollard, S.R. 82: In light of the accident that occurred over here a few weeks ago, and by the way if you have any spare traffic cones in the garage it might not be a bad idea to put 3 or 4 across there [the driveway at the Township Hall while work is being done.]
I was at the corners with the tractor [hauling hay] and there was a guy in the left turn lane who passed me from the left turn lane in the intersection. But if you put up traffic lights at every intersection in this township, you will not have a rural township. It would be better to have people lobby the state.
What signs are we getting for this grant?
Jason: Stop signs, arrow signs, different varieties. Speed limit signs. They will replace existing signs. They will be high reflectivity signs.
Dave: We need a good half dozen that say Dangerous Intersection.
Jason: They are available. But this was done way back.
Dave: I brought this up back when it was first mentioned. This is a safety issue and the trustees are charged with the safety of the residents.
Jason: We can still get them. [Blogger note: If you remember, not enough money had been allocated for the signs, and it had to be moved from other places.]
Dave: That doesn't enhance the safety. [Blogger: This is what my notes say. I will check the recording to see if anything didn't make it into the notes, or whether context will make it possible to insert clarification.]
Note: At this point, Larry Leitzow or someone who sounds like him muttered audibly, "Jesus Christ."
Dave: A new stop sign is still just a stop sign.
There was some debate and discussion about this.
Dave: Did you read Judith Sutherland's column in Farm and Dairy today? Her column today was about responsible leadership. You cited an attorney's opinion that the zoning book could not be defended in a court of law--that attorney was not the township's counsel. That was smoke and mirrors. [Blogger: I believe that the smoke and mirrors referred more to Jason's remark than to the attorney's--another of many attempts to take refuge behind some semblance of authority, rather than taking an accountable stand.]
Jason: If you want to put me on the spot for mentioning someone's opinion--
[At this point, Dave and Jason both began talking over each other, which is impossible to get on the spot in notes. I will listen and see if I can capture some if not all of that exchange, which ended with Jason simply calling on Steve Zielinski. But it won't be right now. I am very grateful for having three weeks between meetings this month and will finish up within a day or so.]
About This Blog
The purpose of this blog is to give an accurate account of what is said during Public Comment at Mantua Township Trustees meetings.
Trustees' decisions are in the official minutes, available on request from the Mantua Township Fiscal Officer, Jodi Thompson, at 330-274-8443. The Township charges 10 cents per page. FAX, 330-274-8447. E-mail, fiscalofficer@mantuatownshipohio.gov. The minutes are also posted on the website after they have been approved. That means that there is usually a two-week lag between a given meeting and the minutes being available to read on the website.
Since meetings are the first and third Thursdays of the month, there is a three-week wait during months with five Thursdays.
Other items of interest or the writer's opinions will be included from time to time, clearly identified.
This is not a forum or chat room, but a source of information, so it is closed to outside input.
During the time I have been doing the blog, the posts have expanded to become very detailed accounts of the meetings. Doing that is time consuming, to say the least, and I am going to try to return to the public comment focus, with background and perspective (and the occasional pointed editorial comment). Such additions are usually enclosed in brackets. However, since some extended accounts of the meetings reveal significant things--and character--better than I could by commenting, there will probably still be a fair amount of semi-transcript. (Sigh.)
My thanks to the readers who have found the blog, and to the ones who from time to time tell me that they value it. You have encouraged me when the tedious work of keyboarding has made me wonder why I am doing this. Then you have reminded me, and I am grateful.
Trustees' decisions are in the official minutes, available on request from the Mantua Township Fiscal Officer, Jodi Thompson, at 330-274-8443. The Township charges 10 cents per page. FAX, 330-274-8447. E-mail, fiscalofficer@mantuatownshipohio.gov. The minutes are also posted on the website after they have been approved. That means that there is usually a two-week lag between a given meeting and the minutes being available to read on the website.
Since meetings are the first and third Thursdays of the month, there is a three-week wait during months with five Thursdays.
Other items of interest or the writer's opinions will be included from time to time, clearly identified.
This is not a forum or chat room, but a source of information, so it is closed to outside input.
During the time I have been doing the blog, the posts have expanded to become very detailed accounts of the meetings. Doing that is time consuming, to say the least, and I am going to try to return to the public comment focus, with background and perspective (and the occasional pointed editorial comment). Such additions are usually enclosed in brackets. However, since some extended accounts of the meetings reveal significant things--and character--better than I could by commenting, there will probably still be a fair amount of semi-transcript. (Sigh.)
My thanks to the readers who have found the blog, and to the ones who from time to time tell me that they value it. You have encouraged me when the tedious work of keyboarding has made me wonder why I am doing this. Then you have reminded me, and I am grateful.
Principles
Two ideas guide and support me:
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
______Attributed to Edmund Burke
GOOD PREVAILS.
Those ideas are also the reason I have been doing the blog since late February 2011.
I have discovered that a transcript is almost impossible to do and that verbatim accounts are usually not absolutely necessary. When in doubt, I check against a recording.
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
______Attributed to Edmund Burke
GOOD PREVAILS.
Those ideas are also the reason I have been doing the blog since late February 2011.
I have discovered that a transcript is almost impossible to do and that verbatim accounts are usually not absolutely necessary. When in doubt, I check against a recording.