About This Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give an accurate account of what is said during Public Comment at Mantua Township Trustees meetings.



Trustees' decisions are in the official minutes, available on request from the Mantua Township Fiscal Officer, Jodi Thompson, at 330-274-8443. The Township charges 10 cents per page. FAX, 330-274-8447. E-mail, fiscalofficer@mantuatownshipohio.gov. The minutes are also posted on the website after they have been approved. That means that there is usually a two-week lag between a given meeting and the minutes being available to read on the website.

Since meetings are the first and third Thursdays of the month, there is a three-week wait during months with five Thursdays.



Other items of interest or the writer's opinions will be included from time to time, clearly identified.



This is not a forum or chat room, but a source of information, so it is closed to outside input.



During the time I have been doing the blog, the posts have expanded to become very detailed accounts of the meetings. Doing that is time consuming, to say the least, and I am going to try to return to the public comment focus, with background and perspective (and the occasional pointed editorial comment). Such additions are usually enclosed in brackets. However, since some extended accounts of the meetings reveal significant things--and character--better than I could by commenting, there will probably still be a fair amount of semi-transcript. (Sigh.)

My thanks to the readers who have found the blog, and to the ones who from time to time tell me that they value it. You have encouraged me when the tedious work of keyboarding has made me wonder why I am doing this. Then you have reminded me, and I am grateful.

Principles

Two ideas guide and support me:

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
______Attributed to Edmund Burke

GOOD PREVAILS.

Those ideas are also the reason I have been doing the blog since late February 2011.

I have discovered that a transcript is almost impossible to do and that verbatim accounts are usually not absolutely necessary. When in doubt, I check against a recording.

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Trustees 6-7-18, Public Comment

[Blogger Foreword:  This post is not going to be much more than public comment, since the next meeting is tomorrow as I keyboard this.  Also, I will not be at that meeting, so you are mostly on your own for that one, folks.  There was a meeting last night, Tuesday June 19, to discuss the proposed East Lawn and Pioneer Trail Cemetery renovations.  I attended that and may post some sketchy remarks from it, since it concerns our two historic cemeteries.]

Public Comment

Your faithful blogger led off with a Chamber of Commerce meeting report:

Chamber was tonight, so it's fresh in my mind.  DMRC  is where the action is right now.  I am not going to talk about everything.  They are getting banners for the streets, and I have seen them.  They are handsome and show a tree along the river.  Also, the trail.  From the headwaters by the park there the trail has been resurfaced clear up to Asbury or 700.   It is crushed limestone, very very nice, and should last a good number of years.

Most of us have thought of tourism as a family going to the Grand Canyon in the car, but there is also a more modest kind of tourism.  But the Buckeye Trail circles the state of Ohio and is over 1300 miles long.  Mantua has been designated as a trail town, and a place where hikers and bikers can stop, so it is a small destination.  Some work is being done at the Tummonds place, the last building before the river going out of town.  Chuck Tummonds was a canoer, and they are trying to figure out if a parking lot can be put in south of the fire department so that the river can be accessible from there.

I told them about the Civic Center roof and that we are still working towards the elevator.

We met the scholarship recipients, one of whom is an Eagle Scout.  Those kids are very impressive.

Jason, your opportunity to run a golf outing is still out there.  They are looking at ways to raise money for the scholarships, and Terri Vechery has ideas that would tie in with the trail town to raise money.  (House decoration and a walking tour.)  A lot is going on to spiff up the village.  It is very heartening.

John Festa said that he has ridden the trail to Garrettsville and found it very nice.  He commented on work to extend the trail into Aurora.

CP:  There is reluctance in Mantua Township and also Aurora, but they are working on it.  It would be nice to be able to ride from Garrettsville to Solon.  Edie Benner's dream is to be able to ride from sea to shining sea.

Terry Hronek:  The roller is going to go to an airfield down on Pioneer Trail.  But if you need it, you can go get it and use it when you need it.  The airstrip is at Pioneer Trail and Asbury.  They need it to roll their air field.  If you need it, call Lavon and go get it.

Dave Pollard:  Vic, I was wondering if you can give us any details about the bell tower.  It looks as if it will be impressive when it is done.

Vic:  It looks like they have the galvanized sheet metal on it.  They had the little bezel at the top made.  I haven't seen anybody over there, either.  It is usually after 3 when I get there.

Dave:  It looks like it's coming along real well.  I would like to have them take a picture of the bell itself with something for scale so we can put it on the MaRSI website.

Vic:  It has two hammers.  One was frozen up, and Cal Brant worked on it and got it moving.

Dave:  Last Tuesday Susan and I want to Burke Lakefront.  Some years ago I made a donation to restore a B 29 bomber.  They had restored several planes, including what the Tuskegee Airmen flew.  I felt good knowing I had a tiny bit to play in that.  These are old guys,  10-15 years older than I am, working on this all the time.  I am glad we have people like that working to keep these historic things working so people can see what we have come from.  Some people can remember when that was flying,.

That was apparently the end of public comment.

Then--

Vic to Jodie Thompson:  American Legion has not received any of its checks back from January.  I got this in the mail--that check from Dan Faith [?].  They got there Saturday [?] but the postmark is May 17.  The postmark of May 17 was the day of our meeting.

Jason:  A procedural question:  When you sign all of these, do you send them out the next day?

Blogger:  This is my note:  Answer:  Waffling.

Jason:  Is it always out by Saturday?  [Blogger note:  He was insistent.]

Vic:  What is the date on that check?

Jason:  Are there checks that have not been cashed?

Jodie:  Not as far as I know.

Vic:  Nothing in January, February, March, April.  [Blogger:  I think all of this was about the American Legion.]
 
Jodie mumbled something that I could not catch.

[Blogger:  My notes end there, and I am not going to promise anything else from earlier in this meeting.].