First: Overnight, three of Mark's and one of Marie's campaign signs disappeared. I found two of Mark's signs thrown up into some wild brush and shrubs. It must have been because of that Force 10 gale that came through during the night.
Stehlis called this morning and reported that their sign for Mark had disappeared.
I think that when I came home on Sheldon Road late last night one sign for Mark and one for Marie had been removed. I have not gone back to check, but suddenly thought, after going by, that they were gone. More later on that.
The sign for Mark in that location has now been replaced twice, as has a sign on Rt. 82 at Quail Crest. Dave put up the first one there, and I know that he does not do anything like that without permission.
Another sign on Rt. 82 disappeared within a couple of days. The resident did not want it replaced, but the event confirmed who was getting any votes from that household.
This is akin to the spate of ugly, slanderous anonymous letters that have been inflicted on residents since the 2009 election: no one can say who wrote and sent them, but their effect is chilling. Clearly, we are not to be able to speak and act freely, but those who meet in the dark, those who promulgate out-and-out lies, are to have free rein.
I discovered yesterday that John Festa is distributing the "Organizational Chart" that showed up on his website and is trying to convince residents that it somehow proves something nefarious about the township. This, despite the fact that when that piece of dreck (not yet tricked out as a graphic) showed up as a letter in the Record Courier over Dawn Pechman's name around 5 years ago, it was analyzed and discredited in a Trustees meeting.
Never mind that it was further discredited during this past week in a very thorough, well documented letter written by Roger Hurd and sent to at least one party who frequents the Festa campaign HQ just east of Mantua Center Road. (So the logical conclusion is that the candidate has seen it.)
Who is responsible for the signs and the anonymous letters, of course, is shrouded in darkness. However, the "organizational chart' is enclosed in Mr. Festa's campaign flyer.
Early on, I put together one sheet titled "Who Is John Festa?" and have been passing it out along with other things as I go out to meet people.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, although, from what I observed of the people closest to Mr. Festa's campaign, sincerity is NOT their long suit. "Who is John Festa?" is at the head of a flashy ad for the candidate, and it includes the claim that he is running an honest, clean, straightforward campaign. Those are three of the adjectives, and I am not concerned with their order in the ad.
Mr. Festa is already on record as having posted "Zoning Violations" that are not violations and also having refused to remove them from his website.
How is any of this honest and straightforward? Or clean?
About This Blog
The purpose of this blog is to give an accurate account of what is said during Public Comment at Mantua Township Trustees meetings.
Trustees' decisions are in the official minutes, available on request from the Mantua Township Fiscal Officer, Jodi Thompson, at 330-274-8443. The Township charges 10 cents per page. FAX, 330-274-8447. E-mail, fiscalofficer@mantuatownshipohio.gov. The minutes are also posted on the website after they have been approved. That means that there is usually a two-week lag between a given meeting and the minutes being available to read on the website.
Since meetings are the first and third Thursdays of the month, there is a three-week wait during months with five Thursdays.
Other items of interest or the writer's opinions will be included from time to time, clearly identified.
This is not a forum or chat room, but a source of information, so it is closed to outside input.
During the time I have been doing the blog, the posts have expanded to become very detailed accounts of the meetings. Doing that is time consuming, to say the least, and I am going to try to return to the public comment focus, with background and perspective (and the occasional pointed editorial comment). Such additions are usually enclosed in brackets. However, since some extended accounts of the meetings reveal significant things--and character--better than I could by commenting, there will probably still be a fair amount of semi-transcript. (Sigh.)
My thanks to the readers who have found the blog, and to the ones who from time to time tell me that they value it. You have encouraged me when the tedious work of keyboarding has made me wonder why I am doing this. Then you have reminded me, and I am grateful.
Trustees' decisions are in the official minutes, available on request from the Mantua Township Fiscal Officer, Jodi Thompson, at 330-274-8443. The Township charges 10 cents per page. FAX, 330-274-8447. E-mail, fiscalofficer@mantuatownshipohio.gov. The minutes are also posted on the website after they have been approved. That means that there is usually a two-week lag between a given meeting and the minutes being available to read on the website.
Since meetings are the first and third Thursdays of the month, there is a three-week wait during months with five Thursdays.
Other items of interest or the writer's opinions will be included from time to time, clearly identified.
This is not a forum or chat room, but a source of information, so it is closed to outside input.
During the time I have been doing the blog, the posts have expanded to become very detailed accounts of the meetings. Doing that is time consuming, to say the least, and I am going to try to return to the public comment focus, with background and perspective (and the occasional pointed editorial comment). Such additions are usually enclosed in brackets. However, since some extended accounts of the meetings reveal significant things--and character--better than I could by commenting, there will probably still be a fair amount of semi-transcript. (Sigh.)
My thanks to the readers who have found the blog, and to the ones who from time to time tell me that they value it. You have encouraged me when the tedious work of keyboarding has made me wonder why I am doing this. Then you have reminded me, and I am grateful.
Principles
Two ideas guide and support me:
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
______Attributed to Edmund Burke
GOOD PREVAILS.
Those ideas are also the reason I have been doing the blog since late February 2011.
I have discovered that a transcript is almost impossible to do and that verbatim accounts are usually not absolutely necessary. When in doubt, I check against a recording.
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
______Attributed to Edmund Burke
GOOD PREVAILS.
Those ideas are also the reason I have been doing the blog since late February 2011.
I have discovered that a transcript is almost impossible to do and that verbatim accounts are usually not absolutely necessary. When in doubt, I check against a recording.