Foreword: In one of the previous posts about the school, I referred to cost that would be given later. The only work for which I had a cost was for the NOPEC grant. That was actually no cost to the Township. It was a grant for energy saving proposals for up to $50,000. I don't remember what the whole pot was that NOPEC was dealing out, but I do remember that if all of it were not requested on the first round, then a second round of applications would be opened up. All was requested in the first round--a measure of the circumstances that small governments were in at that point. They are still in tight circumstances.
Most grants require that recipients match a certain percentage and if appropriate file a plan for maintaining the improvements, repairs, renovation--whatever--that the grant will pay for. This grant was a 100% no-match grant.
The work done is listed in the previous post(s) about work done in the school.
And now to the December 4 meeting. There were actually two. The first was a special meeting called for 7 p.m. for the trustees' public hearing of the revisions to the portions of the zoning book dealing with home-based businesses. There was a little discussion between the trustees and Lynn Harvey, Zoning Commission chair person. No one offered anything during public comment on that topic, and the revisions were accepted by motion and unanimous vote. That meeting adjourned about 7:15.
Since the regular meeting start time is 7:30, the trustees took advantage of the interval to sign the bills, which is usually done between the end of business and adjournment. The regular meeting was called to order at 7:30p.m.
The specific numbers of the fiscal officer's report can be gotten by requesting the official minutes of the meeting.
Marie reminded the trustees that the first meeting in January each year is actually three meetings: end of year, beginning of year, and the regular meeting. Since the first Thursday of January is January 3, she inquired about trading with Zoning in order for her to get everything pulled together well. The trade was OK with Lynn.
So the schedule for trustees' meetings in January is January 10 at 7p.m. (note time) for the end of year meeting, going without interval to beginning of year and then the regular meeting. Jason pointed out that the next regularly scheduled trustees meeting in January would be January 17, but there are five Thursdays that month, which eases the pace a little.
The meeting change will be advertised, and zoning will advertise the change of its own meeting.
Marie also said that she wanted the business functions for 2012 to cut off on December 20 so she could get everything in order for the end of the year.
The zoning/cemetery activities for the previous month totaled $1,064.00.
Marie also goes through a list of the correspondence at the beginning of each meeting. One of the items in this packet dealt with historic preservation. It should not surprise you that it had been submitted by me, your faithful blogger. The more research I do in The Mantua Restoration Society's efforts to be sure that we keep the school, the more I find about the role and value of historic preservation. The item Marie mentioned was two photocopied pages from a manual on filing an application for the Ohio Historic Inventory. I thought it would be useful and perhaps even encouraging for the trustees to have it. I am not going to try to put all of it in the blog, but here are some excerpts from those two pages.
"Ohioans now recognize their state's physical heritage--its landmark buildings, neighborhoods, and rural landscapes--as a major cultural and economic asset rather than just a nostalgic reminder of antiquity. . . . Tourism has emerged as a billion dollar industry in the Buckeye State; among Ohio travelers, historical attractions rank as the number one preference of group tours.
"Historic properties are frequently the best tangible evidence of a community's history and special character. . . . .Whether urban, suburban, or rural, each community can find its own special identity in a residence, shop, skyscraper, factory, farm, or commercial district. Thus, the character of the community is enriched by whatever it conserves for the future." (p.9)
"Since 1974, more than 75,000 historic properties in Ohio have been recorded on the OHI. Despite this impressive figure, a substantial number of Ohio's architecturally and historically important properties have not been systematically documented. Such noteworthy types of properties as barns, farm outbuildings, designed landscapes, and industrial complexes have, for the most part, been largely overlooked. Moreover, large groups of buildings dating to the second quarter of the 20th century have only recently been recognized for their contributions to our nation's istory. All of these need to be documented." (p. 10)
Source: pp. 9 and 10, How to Complete the Ohio Historic Inventory, by Stephen C. Gordon.
Ohio Historic Preservation Office, Ohio Historical Society, Columbus, Ohio. 1992.
About This Blog
The purpose of this blog is to give an accurate account of what is said during Public Comment at Mantua Township Trustees meetings.
Trustees' decisions are in the official minutes, available on request from the Mantua Township Fiscal Officer, Jodi Thompson, at 330-274-8443. The Township charges 10 cents per page. FAX, 330-274-8447. E-mail, fiscalofficer@mantuatownshipohio.gov. The minutes are also posted on the website after they have been approved. That means that there is usually a two-week lag between a given meeting and the minutes being available to read on the website.
Since meetings are the first and third Thursdays of the month, there is a three-week wait during months with five Thursdays.
Other items of interest or the writer's opinions will be included from time to time, clearly identified.
This is not a forum or chat room, but a source of information, so it is closed to outside input.
During the time I have been doing the blog, the posts have expanded to become very detailed accounts of the meetings. Doing that is time consuming, to say the least, and I am going to try to return to the public comment focus, with background and perspective (and the occasional pointed editorial comment). Such additions are usually enclosed in brackets. However, since some extended accounts of the meetings reveal significant things--and character--better than I could by commenting, there will probably still be a fair amount of semi-transcript. (Sigh.)
My thanks to the readers who have found the blog, and to the ones who from time to time tell me that they value it. You have encouraged me when the tedious work of keyboarding has made me wonder why I am doing this. Then you have reminded me, and I am grateful.
Trustees' decisions are in the official minutes, available on request from the Mantua Township Fiscal Officer, Jodi Thompson, at 330-274-8443. The Township charges 10 cents per page. FAX, 330-274-8447. E-mail, fiscalofficer@mantuatownshipohio.gov. The minutes are also posted on the website after they have been approved. That means that there is usually a two-week lag between a given meeting and the minutes being available to read on the website.
Since meetings are the first and third Thursdays of the month, there is a three-week wait during months with five Thursdays.
Other items of interest or the writer's opinions will be included from time to time, clearly identified.
This is not a forum or chat room, but a source of information, so it is closed to outside input.
During the time I have been doing the blog, the posts have expanded to become very detailed accounts of the meetings. Doing that is time consuming, to say the least, and I am going to try to return to the public comment focus, with background and perspective (and the occasional pointed editorial comment). Such additions are usually enclosed in brackets. However, since some extended accounts of the meetings reveal significant things--and character--better than I could by commenting, there will probably still be a fair amount of semi-transcript. (Sigh.)
My thanks to the readers who have found the blog, and to the ones who from time to time tell me that they value it. You have encouraged me when the tedious work of keyboarding has made me wonder why I am doing this. Then you have reminded me, and I am grateful.
Principles
Two ideas guide and support me:
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
______Attributed to Edmund Burke
GOOD PREVAILS.
Those ideas are also the reason I have been doing the blog since late February 2011.
I have discovered that a transcript is almost impossible to do and that verbatim accounts are usually not absolutely necessary. When in doubt, I check against a recording.
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
______Attributed to Edmund Burke
GOOD PREVAILS.
Those ideas are also the reason I have been doing the blog since late February 2011.
I have discovered that a transcript is almost impossible to do and that verbatim accounts are usually not absolutely necessary. When in doubt, I check against a recording.