About This Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give an accurate account of what is said during Public Comment at Mantua Township Trustees meetings.



Trustees' decisions are in the official minutes, available on request from the Mantua Township Fiscal Officer, Jodi Thompson, at 330-274-8443. The Township charges 10 cents per page. FAX, 330-274-8447. E-mail, fiscalofficer@mantuatownshipohio.gov. The minutes are also posted on the website after they have been approved. That means that there is usually a two-week lag between a given meeting and the minutes being available to read on the website.

Since meetings are the first and third Thursdays of the month, there is a three-week wait during months with five Thursdays.



Other items of interest or the writer's opinions will be included from time to time, clearly identified.



This is not a forum or chat room, but a source of information, so it is closed to outside input.



During the time I have been doing the blog, the posts have expanded to become very detailed accounts of the meetings. Doing that is time consuming, to say the least, and I am going to try to return to the public comment focus, with background and perspective (and the occasional pointed editorial comment). Such additions are usually enclosed in brackets. However, since some extended accounts of the meetings reveal significant things--and character--better than I could by commenting, there will probably still be a fair amount of semi-transcript. (Sigh.)

My thanks to the readers who have found the blog, and to the ones who from time to time tell me that they value it. You have encouraged me when the tedious work of keyboarding has made me wonder why I am doing this. Then you have reminded me, and I am grateful.

Principles

Two ideas guide and support me:

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
______Attributed to Edmund Burke

GOOD PREVAILS.

Those ideas are also the reason I have been doing the blog since late February 2011.

I have discovered that a transcript is almost impossible to do and that verbatim accounts are usually not absolutely necessary. When in doubt, I check against a recording.

Friday, December 14, 2012

Trustees Reports cont'd, 12-4-12

At 8:22 John Festa began.  His first item was about the disagreement with FITA (I think that's correct) over  truck repair that the business backed out on, according to John Festa.  He has contacted Chris Meduri about it and the trustees and Mr. Meduri may end up meeting about the issue.  Jason asked if John Festa had contacted FITA, and the answer was no.  He thought that maybe they could meet with Chris.
Then he added this:  It cost us $1200 to make the repair.  They offered something like $550 and I countered with $700, and they agreed but never sent the payment.  They wanted us to take a credit, but I did not want that.  [Blogger:  I think this may still be the issue about whether part of the bill was to repair something that the service facility had themselves broken, and John Festa objected to that.  That may be what this is about.]

Then there was some discussion about the land bank program dealing with blighted properties.  The concern was with abandoned or deserted trailers in Robin Park, and there seem to be some squatters. 

Jason:  We submitted a list of properties on 2 different occasions.  Regional Planning is going to be administering the land bank funds.  Usually Regional Planning contacts us and tells us what our next step would be.  The trailers are owned by the residents, but the land is owned by the trailer park.

John Festa thought that probably nothing could be done by RP because of the land ownership issue.  If RP could expedite the paper work, that would make a difference.

Jason suggested calling Todd Peetz, Regional Planning.




At 8:27, Vic asked about the Force account (roads) and passed some paperwork to Marie and the other trustees.  He offered to let Marie explain it. 
The budget for the project was $672,800, and we were going to be paying $261,000 plus a bit.
Jason explained that this was the Pioneer Trail and Loris Avenue project.

Marie said that a check had been written for the project which she thought covered everything, but then we got a billing from Perrine Asphalt because they had omitted something.
Our total came to $202,457.44.  The grant money will be dispersed to Perrine Asphalt.

Marie said that what she wanted to bring out is that when we completed the contract, we only spent $303,000, which is less than budgeted.  $101,013.14 was turned back.  This is the most we have ever turned back, and we have always turned money back.  The total cost of the project was $505,000 +.

Vic then raised the need to set aside $325 for cleaning supplies for for all the buildings for the coming year.
He also wanted to set aside money for the lights for all three rooms in the school building.  Those lights plus the ones in the hallway--now required by code [I believe] and more efficient than the older lights--come to $989.97.  That was quoted in August, and the contractor will hold the prices.  This would provide lights for the west room, the copy room, the little office, and the hallway.
If the whole first floor was done, the cost would be $2,244.03, including light bulbs.

John Festa:  What kind of lights?

Vic:  T-8 fluorescents.  I am trying to get together with Ohio Edison to see if there is a rebate program.  He showed a diagram and explained how the lighting is handled now.  [Vic has mentioned the lights several times now, and has always said that the new ones have to be T-8s.]

John Festa asked about the energy rating.

Vic said that the estimate is based on someone coming out and evaluating the rooms.

John Festa asked if we had ever had an evaluation done on the electric. 

Vic:  We are looking at $4,000-$5,000 to have someone come out.  We can do a lot of that ourselves.  Just for him to try to help us, we are looking at $600-$700.

John Festa:  I know our use is significant.  I would like to take a little time to study it.

Vic:  I would like to get a purchase order so we can get started and install these lights.  You are looking at about $1,000 to begin. 

John Festa:  I would like to take a little more time to evaluate.  Our electrical costs are phenomenal. 

Vic:  You are going to have to go to T-8 bulbs no matter what.  They are the most efficient today other than LED's, and those are very expensive.
I would like to see us put in a purchase order for Gatto Electric so we have something to work with.

Jason:  The only angle I am looking at is the big picture.  I have compiled our lists from the last meeting.  I want to see where we are in the big picture before we start segmenting it.  We are going to have to do this eventually but I am going to have to see this in the big picture first.  [Blogger:  Eh?]

[It died there for no real reason that I can see, although I can certainly see the footwork.]

Old Business

John Festa said that the road crew had dug in front of the Township Hall and installed a drainage pipe and the window well, using paving stones that we had.  We are still waiting for downspouts but are running up against the clock.  So I guess we are ready to move on to whatever the next step is for this building.
[Blogger's emphasis.]

Jason:  The main goal is to paint the Town Hall, but the drainage was a big concern..  I think we need to get some professionals' opinions about the ventilation.  Every opinion we have gotten is a different one.  Whatever we do we will not know what the results are for 5-10 years.  [Blogger's emphasis.]

John Festa, trailer updates.  The trailers are gone, you did everything you said you would, Dave.

Dave Pollard said that the ground where the trailers had been turns to mush with as little as 1/10 inch of rain and explained about the next steps of leveling and seeding in the spring.  The trailers were sitting on concrete piers.  Some are close to the surface, but there is no sense trying to work the ground now.  I have to take my sign away and will probably do that tomorrow.  [Dave had put up a sign explaining about the work being done to remove the trailers, which he had purchased from the township.]

Jason asked about the status of the soft ball practice in the gym.  Vic said nothing more had come of that.

Jason continued, saying that he had the packet together [for bids] and needs to send it out.

John Festa added, I am also working on estimates on cost analysis and will have the report for the trustees for the next meeting.  He mentioned the cupola on the school and the possibility of going up into it with "the guys."

He also asked health insurance and whether Dan is covered.  Marie replied that we are paying on him and that she thought his insurance kicked in about the time the quote came out.

The new phone number (JF asked) is 330-274-8443.  He also asked what was being done about the old 995 number.  Marie explained that she was going to let it run because it just came into the phone book.  She planned on keeping it and paying for it herself.
 [Gee--do you think that if there had not been such glacially slow progress on the school--after all, there was a 'problem solving' meeting about it on May 31--that maybe we could have had just one phone number and Marie wouldn't be paying for it out of her own pocket?]
 She pointed out that since it is in her house, she can not have the Township pay for it.

Public Comment began at 8:55; this is a good point to end this post.