About This Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give an accurate account of what is said during Public Comment at Mantua Township Trustees meetings.



Trustees' decisions are in the official minutes, available on request from the Mantua Township Fiscal Officer, Jodi Thompson, at 330-274-8443. The Township charges 10 cents per page. FAX, 330-274-8447. E-mail, fiscalofficer@mantuatownshipohio.gov. The minutes are also posted on the website after they have been approved. That means that there is usually a two-week lag between a given meeting and the minutes being available to read on the website.

Since meetings are the first and third Thursdays of the month, there is a three-week wait during months with five Thursdays.



Other items of interest or the writer's opinions will be included from time to time, clearly identified.



This is not a forum or chat room, but a source of information, so it is closed to outside input.



During the time I have been doing the blog, the posts have expanded to become very detailed accounts of the meetings. Doing that is time consuming, to say the least, and I am going to try to return to the public comment focus, with background and perspective (and the occasional pointed editorial comment). Such additions are usually enclosed in brackets. However, since some extended accounts of the meetings reveal significant things--and character--better than I could by commenting, there will probably still be a fair amount of semi-transcript. (Sigh.)

My thanks to the readers who have found the blog, and to the ones who from time to time tell me that they value it. You have encouraged me when the tedious work of keyboarding has made me wonder why I am doing this. Then you have reminded me, and I am grateful.

Principles

Two ideas guide and support me:

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
______Attributed to Edmund Burke

GOOD PREVAILS.

Those ideas are also the reason I have been doing the blog since late February 2011.

I have discovered that a transcript is almost impossible to do and that verbatim accounts are usually not absolutely necessary. When in doubt, I check against a recording.

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

4-19-18: Finish Old Business; Public Comment

Foreword:  There was just a little to wrap up with old business.

John Festa:  Let's move onto old business.  If have the license agreement signed and dated April 18.  I that her house now?

Vic, (ruefully humorously):  Not exactly.

Jason:  Don't ask the question for another month.

Vic:  It should be finalized in a week.

John Festa:  OK, but she signed it.  We have a signed contract that may or may not turn into a deal.   

Then there was some hot potato debate over who would hold the document.

John Festa:  Do you want to hold it? (to Vic)

 Vic:  No, you hold it.

Jason:  [At the last meeting] we talked about Nancy Tafel.  Here is the letter that you all have read by now.  John made a couple of changes, and I made a couple of changes..  You can read it over or we can just sign it. [It says that] she must vacate the northeast [basement] room that is not part of the contract.

Vic:  All of the clothing is our of there.  That was the main concern.

[Blogger note:  Please note what the letter according to Jason says:  That the northeast basement room must be vacated.  It was not part of the original contract.  Although the stairs to exit the room via a door that leads onto the back parking area had not been installed, the concern that had been stated at the last meeting was the sheer amount of clothing in bags in the room.]

Public Comment was next.

Amy Janca and Terry Hronek had no comment.

Terrie Nielsen:  So the next CDBG grant is coming up.  You had mentioned something about the roof at the school.  I have zero idea how much it would cost to replace.  The deadline is May 12.

The next [trustees] meeting is the week before the election; I will come to it if I can.  Let me know how much to ask for for the roof.

[There was a little discussion about possible numbers, but nothing definitive.]

Dave Pollard:  I want to thank the trustees for moving ahead on this project which has been dragging. We had about two days to accept and to certify the money.  It has  been dragging and dragging so I appreciate you taking action to get it done.

The bell tower will be a visible sign that we have gotten something done.  I was concerned that the elevator would ruin the grace of the building, but people don't even know it's there.  I think we can move forward on that now.

On a heavier note, I did not put the "Sound Off!" in the paper, but Frost Road could use a pass with the grader.

Vic:  I have had phone calls about it.

Dave:  It's no surprise.  Did you put a new culvert in at the bottom of the hiss going south before Dale Gould's property?  There is always water there now.  They have raised the level of water at Roundup Lake.  The water table is higher now and the road goes to pot there in no time.  It needs a culvert.

Vic:   I will get Brian to give you a call.

Carole Pollard:  I want to echo what Dave said thanking you.  At the beginning of this excruciating process,I remember comments about being 100% and 110% behind it.  This gives you bragging rights--we said we were behind it, and here it is.  It has been such a pain, it is hard to feel glad about it.  Right now this is a little like ripping adhesive tape off broken ribs--it hurts, but you have to do it. 

Everybody said we started with the hardest project,and I really hope that is true.  So maybe everything else will be a walk in the park.

Vic:  Everything came so quick.  We had a deadline, and the Grants and Funding Committee met the deadline and then we got the phone call that we had it, and all our direction had to go to that grant. 

Who's to blame?  Everybody.  Everybody involved.  You can't put the blame on one person.

CP:  No, but I am considering a trip to Haiti to learn how to make voodoo dolls.

Vic:  A year of my life is over there.

CP:  So--thank you. It has not been fun for anybody,but spring is coming, she said hopefully.

John Festa made a comment agreeing with that, and then the trustees settled down to pay the bills.
Your faithful blogger left to come home.