About This Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give an accurate account of what is said during Public Comment at Mantua Township Trustees meetings.



Trustees' decisions are in the official minutes, available on request from the Mantua Township Fiscal Officer, Jodi Thompson, at 330-274-8443. The Township charges 10 cents per page. FAX, 330-274-8447. E-mail, fiscalofficer@mantuatownshipohio.gov. The minutes are also posted on the website after they have been approved. That means that there is usually a two-week lag between a given meeting and the minutes being available to read on the website.

Since meetings are the first and third Thursdays of the month, there is a three-week wait during months with five Thursdays.



Other items of interest or the writer's opinions will be included from time to time, clearly identified.



This is not a forum or chat room, but a source of information, so it is closed to outside input.



During the time I have been doing the blog, the posts have expanded to become very detailed accounts of the meetings. Doing that is time consuming, to say the least, and I am going to try to return to the public comment focus, with background and perspective (and the occasional pointed editorial comment). Such additions are usually enclosed in brackets. However, since some extended accounts of the meetings reveal significant things--and character--better than I could by commenting, there will probably still be a fair amount of semi-transcript. (Sigh.)

My thanks to the readers who have found the blog, and to the ones who from time to time tell me that they value it. You have encouraged me when the tedious work of keyboarding has made me wonder why I am doing this. Then you have reminded me, and I am grateful.

Principles

Two ideas guide and support me:

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
______Attributed to Edmund Burke

GOOD PREVAILS.

Those ideas are also the reason I have been doing the blog since late February 2011.

I have discovered that a transcript is almost impossible to do and that verbatim accounts are usually not absolutely necessary. When in doubt, I check against a recording.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018

5-3-18 Trustees; Mostly Public Comment, some preliminary

Just before public comment--

Jason:  A couple of reminders.  We have an outstanding NOPEC grant for $13,000+ for 2018 and another for $500.  The grant is to help improve energy efficiency.

Sue Skrovan mentioned better lights and heater in the Civic Center.

A variety of ideas popped up at that point.

There was some discussion about what the Civic Center roof and dropped ceiling are concealing.  No one knows for sure what is up there.
 Vic described the construction of the roof and that there seems to be little to no insulation.

Jason mentioned a metal ceiling above the dropped ceiling and thought that exposing that would be really striking.

[Those remarks are summarized, not verbatim.]

Vic had another thing that he said he would bring up before the meeting ended.  I did not stay past the motion to pay the bills.

Public Comment:

Amy Janca:  I want to thank the board for all their cooperation and backing and support.  I look forward to everyone chipping in.  I think it will be a nice thing.

Carole Pollard:  I wanted to thank the trustees for coming to the restoration society annual meeting.  That was really pleasant.  I don't think the three of you all made the tour around the building in the cold with Dr. Robison and the rest of us.  I will get that for the next meeting.  What he did was preview the kind of plan it would take to really renovate the outside of the building.,  The inside of the building is pretty good because it was built so well.

We might be able to get help from the National Preservation organization on the plans.  They will pay for some plans.  I don't know whether it's blueprints or just what, but I am not going to ask Terrie Nielsen about that until after the election.

Dave Pollard:  I assume the chairs you are talking about were the brown metal ones.  When Susan and I bought the white chairs, we assumed that they could replace both the metal chairs at the school and the bad ones at the Civic Center.

I know you had the grader on Old Frost three weeks ago, but you should go look at it again.  Unless you break up the bottom of the potholes, they hold water and things break up again.  I would be willing to take my chisel plow in conjunction with the backhoe and grader and break up the potholes.  The surface right not is ot too hard to work with.  The trick would be like the roofing--get the weather just right.  I would be willing to take the chisel plow and work with the grader.

I am sure you heard Dr. Robison say that the first thing the building needs is new gutters.  I have thought that a false copper would be great.  Copper gutters would be great, but Dr. Robison said that copper has a way of disappearing.

Vic:  I don't know how we will get in to see what is there.

Dave:  You look at some of the things done in Cleveland in the old theater district that has been covered with dry wall.  When they remove the dry wall, it is beautiful.  I think we can have the same thing here with our buildings.  

Vic:  I did meet with Marty with Hummel Construction.  They were in the bell tower yesterday.  They are planning on starting that project on Thursday.

[I believe that was the end of public comment.]

Then there was a question about something listed as for sale.  This was about the equipment that the township has listed.  I did not take notes on those details, and left while the bills were being paid.  That question may have been what Vic had referred to.